ADVERTISEMENT

Football Time for the AAC to think big and go to 16

Bryan_Moss

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 9, 2003
The Hateful 8...err...the Big 12 are rumored to add UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, and Houston per a report by Ross Dellenger and Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated. That report said the invite could come next week.

Brett McMurphy reported that Boise State, Memphis, SMU, and USF were the next 4 schools that the Big 12 considered. If this were the Big 12 Bracketology then Memphis would be in the "First 4 out" category.

The last time the Big 12 flirted with expansion Memphis was not picked as a finalist either. What does this mean for Memphis? Is it all doom and gloom from here on out?

I can make an argument that Memphis will be just fine without the Big 12. I mean, Memphis instantly becomes the best team in the American. That's a plus, right?

Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program and I think you will not miss a beat in recruiting. Memphis doesn't rely on Florida recruiting so losing a game in Orlando every other year doesn't hurt. Same with recruiting in Ohio. Memphis does recruit heavily in Texas but you still have SMU in the league so losing a game at Houston doesn't hurt.

Losing a ranked team in Cincy hurts. Losing UCF hurts. Houston? Not so much. The AAC is losing 2 teams that are normally conference championship contenders and nationally ranked.

The American Conference could add 3 to replace Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston. Or add 4 to get the conference back to 12. Or just say screw it and think big. Just realize the college football world will never accept you as a power conference and try to be the biggest and best group of five conference in the nation, expand to 16.

You have 8 teams once Cincy, UCF, and Houston leave for the Big 12.

Let's go wild and add 8.

Here's what I would do if you split the conference into two 8 team divisions.

AAC East-

Memphis, Temple, Tulane, ECU, USF, Louisiana, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State

AAC West-

Navy, SMU, Tulsa, Boise State, Colorado State, Air Force, Nevada, San Diego State

Other teams that should be considered are UAB, San Jose State, and Fresno State.

What about the "Pod" system?

Pod 1- Temple, ECU, Appy St., Coastal

Pod 2- Memphis, USF, Louisiana, Tulane

Pod 3- Tulsa, SMU, Navy, Colorado St.

Pod 4-
Boise St, San Diego St., Nevada, Air Force

It really doesn't matter if you do 2 divisions or the 4 pods, this new AAC would be the best G5 conference by far and would ensure they would always have the NY6 Bowl bid.

The Big 12 would be a better conference on paper but give this new AAC a few years and I'd be willing to bet that the TV ratings for this new AAC will not only be better than the last AAC but the new Big 12 as well.

What would you do? Who would you add?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News